What is Parents’ Day? 👩👨
In the United States, Parents’ Day is a national holiday that honors all parents. This day is meant to celebrate their important role in the lives of their children. Working parents have a lot on their plate, balancing their responsibilities at home alongside their busy deadlines at the office!
The dedication towards their kids' lives is important and your workplace should help support them year-round with Parents & Caretakers ERGs and flexible accommodations for parents to work from home, or take paid family-related days off. However, Parents' Day is an ultra-special day of the year to recognize all parents for their efforts!
History of Parents’ Day 📖
Parents’ Day began in 1994 when President Bill Clinton signed the Congressional Resolution that approved the holiday into law. The law was introduced by Senator Trent Lott with the aim of “uplifting, and supporting the role of parents in the rearing of children.”
When is Parents’ Day? 🗓
Parents’ Day is observed on the fourth Sunday of July every year. This year, Parents’ Day 2022 is on Sunday, July 24!
How to celebrate Parents’ Day 🎉
There is no better way to celebrate Parents’ Day than to provide parents with the opportunity to spend time with their kids. Your workplace can host a variety of events for your working parents to enjoy time with their children.
Here’s a list of virtual, hybrid, or in-person activities that will suit various age groups:
- Special outing 🎢 - arrange an outing for the day to a local attraction, such as a museum, arboretum, or even Disneyland!
- Talent show 🎤 - a hybrid-friendly event where kids and their parents can perform their finest acts.
- Family cooking class 🍕 - learn how to make fun foods virtually, from boba tea to cupcakes to dumplings. This event can also be done in-person.
- Family fitness challenge 🥏 - create challenges for employees and their families such as 100 jumping jacks or walking 5km, as well as a Slack channel for participants to share their progress.
- Parents’ Potluck 🥗 - organize a potluck at the office welcoming all parents and kids! Be sure to send out a survey ahead of the event to collect dietary restrictions as well as dishes that everyone will be bringing.
- Hand Lettering 💌 - a fun arts and crafts activity for parents and kids to get their creative juices flowing! This activity can be done virtually from the comforts of home, or in-person.
- Laughter Yoga 🧘 - this unique experience, done either virtually or in-person at a yoga studio, will allow parents to connect to their joyful inner child through the power of laughter.
- Parent & Tot Book Club 📚 - host a reading session where parents can bring their toddlers to listen in on their favorite storybooks!
- Berry Picking 🍓 - take your employees and their families on a fun berry picking expedition! Whether it be strawberries, blueberries or raspberries, take your team out to a local farm and buy each family a couple baskets to pick their own fruit!
- Bouldering 🧗 - bring parents and their kids to a rock-climbing gym for a fun and athletic activity together, suitable for all skill levels.
- Game day 🎳 - arrange an in-person game day at Laser Tag, bowling, or the arcade! There’s nothing like parent-child bonding through friendly competition.