When done right, humor adds humanity, positivity, and a lighter mood to the workplace. Laughing eases stress, and better yet, it's contagious! However, chances are your workplace can have a little more fun: studies show that the average 40-year-old only laughs around three times a day. It’s time to change that!
1. Emphasize the Importance of Humor with your Team
- The benefits of laughing are so obvious and intuitive that we rarely think about it. There are countless videos, articles, research studies, and even workshops and crash courses that emphasize the power of humor.
- Share resources, such as this Ted Talk by two lecturers at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business, if your employees or leaders need any convincing to take humor seriously!
2. Incorporate Small Bits of Humor into the Daily Routine
- You can take small actions to make your everyday workday more humorous, such as by signing off emails with a fun tagline rather than the typical “Best,” or “Regards”.
- Don’t hesitate to share funny videos, memes, or stories with your colleagues.
- Incorporate fun slides at your next team meeting or standup.
3. Share Laughter in Big Moments
- You can take actions to incorporate humor in bigger, more obvious moments at work, such as arranging humor-oriented events.
- Ideas include laughter yoga, a stand-up comedy night, and even simple games such as charades!
4. Reap the Benefits of Laughing Everyday at Work
- Laughing releases endorphins (which reduce stress and improve mood), lowers cortisol (which makes us calmer), and releases dopamine (which is known as the “feel-good” hormone).
- With laughter, comes more joy and more love in life. This ultimately boosts worker morale, and leads to happier, healthier, more productive, and more resilient employees who feel more engaged at work!
- Laughing together makes employees feel more connected to each other. Teams are more bonded and creative, which makes for a successful and more cohesive team!
Try implementing humor in the workplace, in both small and big moments. It’s never too late to start laughing! 😊